The Hokkaido University Botanical Gardens were established in 1886 as a part of the Old Sapporo Agricultural College. They were opened by Dr. Miyabe Kingo, a graduate of Sapporo Agricultural College (now Hokkaido University). The gardens cover 13.3 hectares and are the second oldest botanical gardens in Japan! The collection Read More ....
|Opening Hours||9 am to 5 pm Daily|
|Closed||January 1st to January 3rd|
|Japan, 〒060-0001 Hokkaidō, Sapporo-shi, Chūō-ku, Kita 1 Jōnishi, 2 Chome 札幌市時計台|
Located in the center of Sapporo just by Odori park, the clock tower was constructed in 1878. Sapporo was developed in the late 1860’s which makes the clock tower the oldest remaining structure in the city. The idea for the tower came from Dr. John Clark who was the vice principal of the Sapporo School of Agriculture at that time. The tower is American designed and served originally as a drill hall for students to do their physical education and military training. It also served as a hall for ceremonies.
The clock tower now serves as a museum housing exhibits, photos and information on the history of agriculture in Sapporo and the development of Sapporo. Although dwarfed by the some of the surrounding modern buildings, the clock tower serves as one of Sapporo’s most famous icons. For foreign and domestic tourists, the tower is a hugely popular building. There is a constant stream of people taking the opportunity to visit and photograph this much loved piece of history.
In 1970, Sapporo Clock Tower was designated an ‘Important Cultural Property’ and certified as ‘Mechanical Engineering Heritage’ of Japan in 2009.